Tuesday, December 14, 2010

christmas twelve.

in twelve days, it will be the day after christmas. and while that may be sad to some because it means the christmas tree is no longer stuffed with beautifully wrapped gifts, it's still a happy day of tradition and vacation.

here are twelve ways i find joy in being home for christmas:

1. waking up every morning of christmas vacation to sylvia's giant st. bernard head resting on the bed beside my pillow and her nose damp against my cheek.
2. the fragrance of cinnamon, cloves, and orange simmering on the stovetop--a scent that i can trace back to my maternal grandmother's days.
3. making snow angels in freshly fallen snow and romping with the dogs.
4. my mother's delicious traditional clam chowder and her homemade crescent rolls.
5. my father passing out gifts with his santa's elf cap awkwardly stuck to his head.
6. layering on sweaters, socks, scarves, mittens, and giant coats over my jammies for afternoon walks with the dogs.
7. the sounds of bing crosby.
8. the glow and smell of the christmas tree and all the old homemade ornaments from when we were kids.
9. cozying up next to the woodburning stove with a good book and mom's food in my belly.
10. playing scrabble with my folks.
11. watching how the grinch stole christmas, other movies, and loads of college football.
12. enjoying mom's homecooking day after day and dad's famous pies.

christmas is almost here. i can't wait.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...